The Live Your Dream Award
I wanted to share some pics with you from my graduation from Ventura College. I will be transferring to Penn State come August, and the Soroptimist Live Your Dream award made it all possible. I cannot thank you or the organization enough for your support.
– Melissa Mejia, 2021 Live Your Dream Winner –
Are you ready to begin a new life?
Since 1972, the Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards program (formerly the Women’s Opportunity Awards) has disbursed more than $30 million to tens of thousands of women who have overcome poverty, domestic and sexual violence, divorce, the death of a spouse, or other life challenges. They are women—just like you—who had the courage and determination to turn their lives around.
Recipients may use the cash award to offset any costs associated with their efforts to attain higher education, including books, childcare, and transportation. The program begins on the club level, where award amounts vary. Club recipients become eligible to receive region-level awards, which are granted through Soroptimist’s 28 geographic regions. Currently, each Soroptimist region grants one first-place award for $5,000.
Deadline: Applications are due each year by November 15. Award recipients will be notified between January and June. Not all applicants will be selected for awards. Applications can only be submitted to one club. Your application will be reviewed by a panel of judges, but all information will remain confidential and will not be shared without your prior permission.
Are You Eligible?
You are eligible if you are a woman who:
- Provide the primary financial support for yourself and your dependents. Dependents can include children, spouses, partners, siblings, and/or parents.
- Have financial need.
- Is enrolled in or has been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program.
- Is motivated to achieve your education and career goals.
- Reside in one of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries/territories (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guam, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, United States of America, and Venezuela).
- Has not previously been the recipient of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity or Live Your Dream Award.
- You do not have a graduate degree.
- You are not a Soroptimist member, an employee of Soroptimist International of the Americas, or an immediate family member of either.
- Has a Social Security number or a Tax ID number. (This is required for tax purposes and is only necessary if you are a resident of the United States. You will not be asked to share this information unless you have been given an award.)
- Note: Receiving government support, child support, living in subsidized housing or in someone else’s home do not negate a woman’s primary financial responsibility for her dependents or disqualify a woman from being eligible for the program.
Disclaimer: This website includes links providing direct access to other internet sites. However, Soroptimist International and Soroptimist International of Oxnard take no responsibility for the content or information contained on other sites, nor does it imply endorsement or approval of products or information offered by Soroptimist International of Oxnard, a California Nonprofit Organization 501(c)3.*